Sharon's Coaching Philosophy and Approach in Her Own Words
- we can all benefit from excellent coaching.
- people can learn and grow, at any age or any stage of life.
- people need to be truly motivated to make important changes.
- sometimes they need a little help in order to change.
- good coaches bring a bag of tools to facilitate desired change.
- teams and organizations benefit greatly when their leaders increase their effectiveness.
My coaching approach includes …
- listening more than I talk.
- establishing a connection and chemistry with each coachee.
- holding clients “able” to do the work needed to make crucial changes.
- identifying the “felt need” and the real need with my clients (the boss, HR, the coachee, the organization).
- focusing on forwarding the action toward clearly articulated goals/success indicators.
- communicating often and honestly with key stakeholders during the coaching engagement.
- soliciting possible solutions from the coachee before giving my own answers/ideas.
- co-creating sustaining strategies before the close of a coaching engagement.
- repeatedly evaluating coaching effectiveness and movement toward engagement goals; making necessary adjustments based on that assessment.
Experience and Background
Sharon has coached executives for over 25 years and has become a go-to resource for C-suite and other top tier executives. She coaches the people that companies can least afford to lose. Companies turn to her again and again to help their high performers increase their effectiveness as top level leaders.
Prior to starting her own firm in 1996, Sharon served as Senior Vice President and Consulting Partner for DBM, a leading transition management consulting firm. During her nine years there, Sharon led their career and change management efforts in the Western United States and Latin America.
Sharon coaches senior leaders in large and small organizations representing such diverse industries as health care, high technology, financial services, entertainment, computers, and insurance. Her international experience includes work in Switzerland, Australia, the U.K., Belgium and Mexico. She works with individuals and teams to increase their effectiveness and job satisfaction.
Areas of coaching specialty and experience include:
- increasing effectiveness in current role.
- preparing for new role or promotion.
- competency development.
- helping stalled, stopped or derailed executives get back on track.
- conflict management.
- building stronger teams.
- perception and reputation management.
- legacy coaching.
Sharon's Fortune 500 client list includes such companies as ABC, AT&T, Best Western, Boeing, Ford of Mexico, JPL/Caltech, Lockheed, LSI Logic, McKesson, MTV, NBC, PacifiCare, PG&E, Providence Health System, Southwest Airlines, SVB, Synopsys, Universal Studios, Walt Disney Imagineering, Western Digital/HGST and Xerox.
Former President of a Major Aeronautical Engineering Firm (now Chairman of the Board at Harley-Davidson)
The CEO hired Sharon to help this accomplished senior level leader and technical expert increase his confidence and competence when in high pressure situations, such as board meetings, press conferences and all-hands meetings. After a one year engagement, the coachee (President) wrote this note...
“I have never in my life been so at peace with who I am and who I can be. Feedback, an honest look at myself, and a new found willingness to get better is very fulfilling! You gave me that. Thank you, Sharon!”
President, COO of Global Medical Manufacturing Organization
Sharon was hired to help this President and COO get more out of his senior team. They were excellent as individuals, but falling short as a team, and the result was a lack of collaboration, innovation and forward action. He said this about their work together...
"Sharon has served as a coach to me and to my senior team over the past two years. She has been instrumental in improving our senior team relationships, dynamics, accountability and effectiveness as leaders. With her help we've embarked on several key change initiatives that will ensure that our organization will survive and thrive in coming years. Sharon brings a wealth of experience, a quick mind and tireless, committed action in support of measurable results for senior level executives and their organizations."
Education, Training, Certifications
Sharon has a Masters Degree in Organization Development (Psychology) with an emphasis on group dynamics, change management, and job satisfaction research.
She is a Professional Certified Coach and a member of the International Coach Federation.
She co-authored three bestsellers: Love ‘Em or Lose ‘Em: Getting Good People to Stay, Love It, Don’t Leave It: 26 Ways to Get What You Want at Work, and Hello Stay Interviews, Goodbye Talent Loss.